NCLHD Accreditation Site Visit Team
The primary role of the Site Visit Team is to verify the health department’s self-assessment in order to evaluate the health department’s degree of compliance with the Activities. Site Visit Team members serve as representatives of the NCLHD Accreditation Board.
Each Site Visit Team comprises four individuals with expertise or experience in local public health, including experience or expertise in environmental health, public health nursing, public health administration and policy development/governance.
Site Visit Team at a health department during a 2019 site visit
Site Visit Team Operational Guidelines
The roles and responsibilities of the Site Visit Team are outlined in the NCLHDA Site Visit Team Operational Guidelines.
NCLHDA Site Visit Team Operational Guidelines (pdf)
Site Visit Team Materials
The following documents are used by Site Team Members when conducting a Site Visit:
- Color-Coded Summary Checklist (Word doc): details each Site Visitor role and assigns specific Activities applicable to their knowledge/expertise.
- Site Visit Report Template (Word doc): summarizes the information gathered from the Health Department Self-Assessment Instrument, the review of the agency’s evidence and documents, the interviews with staff and community representatives and the tour of all health department facilities.
- Suggestions for QI Report Template (Word doc): provides the Site Visit Team’s suggestions for quality improvement (QI) for the Health Director’s consideration. The suggestions for QI have no bearing on the health department’s accreditation status.
Site Visit Team Training
A Site Visit Team training is held annually. Past training materials are archived below for use by active Site Visitors.
Site visitors at the 2019 Site Visit Team Training
NCLHD Accreditation Site Visit Team Review Guide eLearn
The NCLHD Accreditation Site Visit Team Review Guide provides step-by-step instructions for how Site Visitors conduct their review of evidence using the NCLHD Accreditation Dashboard. This guide can be accessed by Site Visit Team Members at any time and can be reviewed from beginning to end or specific sections can be referenced as needed.
View Review Guide
Site Visitor Training Update
August 8, 2018
View archived training
Become a Site Visitor
The North Carolina Institute for Public Health is the Accreditation Administrator for the NCLHD Accreditation Program.
We continuously seek applicants for the Accreditation Site Visit Teams, however, we train in cohorts when needed. The teams are composed of individuals who have expertise or experience in local public health including expertise or experience in environmental health, public health administration, public health nursing or policy development/governance.
Site visits are typically one full business day. Accreditation visit-related expenses are paid and each Site Visitor will receive an honorarium. Training will be provided.
Steps to Apply
- Please review the Site Visit Team Operational Guidelines (pdf) before applying to become a Site Visitor, including the section regarding eligibility.
- Complete the online application form.
If you have any questions, please contact us at NCLHDaccreditation@unc.edu.
Site visitor group photo at the 2019 Site Visit Team Training