The NCLHD Accreditation process begins with the Health Department Self-Assessment, followed by a Site Visit and finally, assignment of accreditation status by the NCLHDA Board. This page contains the documents and resources that local health departments need for the Health Department Self-Assessment and to prepare for a Site Visit.
Updated July 2021
NCLHD Accreditation Operational Guidelines
- NCLHDA Process Operational Guidelines (pdf): Outlines the roles and responsibilities of all persons and agencies involved in the NCLHD Accreditation process.
- NCLHDA Site Visit Team Operational Guidelines (pdf): Outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Site Visitors.
- NCLHDA Board Operational Guidelines (pdf): Outlines the roles and responsibilities of the board.
Health Department Self-Assessment Materials (2022)
- HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 (pdf):
- The HDSAI Interpretation document provides a detailed description of what is required to meet each of the Activities in the HDSAI. The HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 is effective starting January 1, 2022. Health departments have two HDSAI options for current accreditation cycles:
Always use the HDSAI Interpretation version that was in effect for the year a piece of evidence was collected (see archive).
- Use HDSAI Interpretation 2022 for ALL years EXCEPT 2020-2021.
- Use the HDSAI Retrospective Interpretation 2020/2021 for pieces of evidence collected in 2020-2021.
- Resources to inform health departments’ decisions on HDSAI Interpretation options:
- Summary of Changes to HDSAI Interpretation Document (pdf): HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 underwent an extensive review and revision process. The changes are summarized in this document.
- 2022 HDSAI Interpretation Decision Summary Guide: This two page document provides an overview of major differences between the 2019 and 2022 HDSAI Interpretation Documents and highlights activity numbers where there were notable documentation requirement changes.
- 2022 HDSAI Interpretation Decision Guide: This table shows every activity where there was a documentation change, detailing the HDSAI Interpretation Document 2019 vs 2022 requirements with notes on the impact of each change.
- 2022 Annual Update Webinar Slides: The slides summarize the above information and review frequently asked questions about HDSAI Interpretation decisions (note: slides contain a few updates since they were presented on January 25).
- HDSAI Standards and Scoring Requirements (pdf): The HDSAI Standards and Scoring Requirements document provides the number of Activities that must be met for each Standard in order for a health department to be recommended for accreditation status.
- Additional HDSAI Interpretation 2022 Materials:
- Summary of the Revision Process (pdf): In 2020 the HDSAI Interpretation Document underwent an extensive review and revision process. This document summarizes the review process, timeline and next steps.
- We Heard You! (pdf): Thanks to everyone who took their time to comment during the public review of the proposed HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 revisions. This document summarizes the feedback that we received during this process and the changes that were made based on this feedback.
Health Department Site Visit Preparation Materials
Below can be found materials that must be submitted with the completed HDSAI/evidence in the NCLHDA Dashboard by the HDSAI due date (either June 1 or November 1). Where templates are available, the template should be used and they are linked as editable MS Word documents.
- signed HDSAI Cover Page
- HDSAI Summary Checklist
- XXXXXX County HDSAI Programs List
- the agency’s mission statement
- the agency’s organizational chart
- list of programs offered at agency (or agency brochure with this information)
- a roster of the agency’s Management Team, with names, position titles and dates of appointment to the Management Team for each team member
- Interviewed staff bios including Nursing Director, Environmental Health Director, and Health Director
- a roster of the agency’s entire staff, with names, hire date and position titles (alphabetized by last name) – must be in a MS Excel spreadsheet and should be updated on day the LHD is locked out of the NCLHDA Dashboard before their site visit
- a one-page double-spaced narrative related to information about what makes your local health department and the population you serve unique. Please include any special characteristics of the health department and the community (e.g., district structure, administrative/operations information, unique relationship with county government, presence or loss of major industry, seasonal population surges, socioeconomic status of community, predominance of a particular demographic group, etc.)
- Governing Board roster – with appointment dates
- Budget Summary (actual expenses, revenue and local allocation) for previous six years
- Partially Remote Site Visit Schedule– applicable for most LHDs
- Two-Day Partially Remote Site Visit Schedule– applicable to district LHDs and LHDs with multiple facilities
- Draft Entrance Conference Agenda