The NCLHD Accreditation process begins with the Health Department Self-Assessment, followed by a Site Visit and finally, assignment of accreditation status by the NCLHDA Board. This page contains the documents and resources that local health departments need for the Health Department Self-Assessment and to prepare for a Site Visit.
Updated July 2021
NCLHD Accreditation Operational Guidelines
- NCLHDA Process Operational Guidelines (pdf): Outlines the roles and responsibilities of all persons and agencies involved in the NCLHD Accreditation process.
- NCLHDA Site Visit Team Operational Guidelines (pdf): Outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Site Visitors.
- NCLHDA Board Operational Guidelines (pdf): Outlines the roles and responsibilities of the board.
Health Department Self-Assessment Materials (2022)
- HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 (pdf):
- The HDSAI Interpretation document provides a detailed description of what is required to meet each of the Activities in the HDSAI. The HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 is effective starting January 1, 2022. Health departments have two HDSAI options for current accreditation cycles:
Always use the HDSAI Interpretation version that was in effect for the year a piece of evidence was collected (see archive).
- Use HDSAI Interpretation 2022 for ALL years EXCEPT 2020-2021.
- Use the HDSAI Retrospective Interpretation 2020/2021 for pieces of evidence collected in 2020-2021.
- Summary of Changes to HDSAI Interpretation Document (pdf): HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 underwent an extensive review and revision process. The changes are summarized in this document.
- Activities that Require Visual Observation Document (pdf): The Visual Observation document outlines the Activities that will be visually observed by Site Visitors during a Site Visit.
- HDSAI Standards and Scoring Requirements (pdf): The HDSAI Standards and Scoring Requirements document provides the number of Activities that must be met for each Standard in order for a health department to be recommended for accreditation status.
- Additional HDSAI Interpretation 2022 Materials:
- Summary of the Revision Process (pdf): In 2020 the HDSAI Interpretation Document underwent an extensive review and revision process. This document summarizes the review process, timeline and next steps.
- We Heard You! (pdf): Thanks to everyone who took their time to comment during the public review of the proposed HDSAI Interpretation Document 2022 revisions. This document summarizes the feedback that we received during this process and the changes that were made based on this feedback.
Health Department Site Visit Preparation Materials
Materials that must be submitted electronically with the completed HDSAI/evidence when it is sent to the Accreditation Administrator’s office:
- signed HDSAI Cover Page (word doc) (can be submitted as a pdf document – all other materials must be in MS Word format)
- HDSAI Summary Checklist (word doc)
- XXXX County HDSAI Programs List (word doc)
- the agency’s mission statement
- the agency’s organizational chart
- list of programs offered at agency (or agency brochure with this information)
- a roster of the agency’s Management Team, with names, position titles and dates of appointment to the Management Team for each team member
- interviewed staff bios (word doc)
- a roster of the agency’s entire staff, with names, hire date and position titles (alphabetized by last name) – must be in a MS Excel spreadsheet
- a one-page double-spaced narrative related to information about what makes your local health department and the population you serve unique. Please include any special characteristics of the health department and the community (e.g., district structure, administrative/operations information, unique relationship with county government, presence or loss of major industry, seasonal population surges, socioeconomic status of community, predominance of a particular demographic group, etc.)
- Governing Board roster – with appointment dates
- Budget Summary (word doc) (actual expenses, revenue and local allocation) for previous four years
- the Draft Site Visit Schedule will be posted March 1, 2021
- Draft Entrance Conference Agenda (word doc)